Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas Dad

I usually use this blog to discuss nature and animals, particularly endangered species. Tonight, this post will differ. It is Christmas eve. Around the world millions of christian and non-christian families gather to remember whats truly important in life, Family. Although I cannot spend this Christmas eve with someone very dear to me, my father, he isn't far from my thoughts. I just want to start off by saying that like most of you, I think I have the greatest Dad in the world. He is a stand up guy. Always hard working, tough as nails, always laughing and nice to generally everyone he meets.  When I was young, I hated math and science. I couldn't grasp it easily. My Dad would spend hours trying to explain it to me and even show me shortcuts I could use to get the answer faster (although my teacher hated these shortcuts, he wanted it done his way). Now, I am able to do complex mathematical equations with relative ease. My favourite mathematical field being stoichiometry. I like to think that all the help I got as a kid pointed me in the right direction (mathematically). My Dad would help me with science fairs and such as well. I remember one in particular on Electromagnetism. My father being an electronics technician, was more than happy to help and I ended up getting a good mark with the research he aided me on. When I was a little older he tried to get me interested in learning mechanics, but I was always too busy  skateboarding or wanting to get drunk. Now I wish I had payed more attention to what could have been valuable lessons. I learned a few things from him about woodworking (My Dad is a woodworking genius), and enjoyed then time we spent in the wood shop shooting the shit and laughing out asses off. With some of the stupid things I have done when I was younger, I often think of where I would have ended up had my father and mother ever given up on me. But, they hadn't, although I'm sure some of my escapades pissed them off beyond comprehension. Thanks to both of you for always being there when I needed you.  Anyway, at the risk of sounding like a windbag, I'll leave it at that. I love you and Merry Christmas Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment